Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Musings on Life and an Aeropostle Ad

There's this Aeropostle commercial running right now that asks the question, "Are you who you were a year ago?". The ad pictures these trendy teenagers running around with their Aeropostle clothing and friends against sunset skies.  They might even be jumping into pools, but I can't remember. That being said, the ad's question goes a smidge deeper than an attempt to sell more hipster clothing. That question "Are you who you were a year ago?" is something we all ought to ask ourselves. Our culture values speed, moving forward, faster until we collide with the horizon. We're too busy posting selfies to take a look at who we really are behind the façade. Pausing for reflection about the people we once were and the changes in our lives should not have gone the way of Myspace and cassette tapes . If we are better people than we were a year ago it can draw gratitude into our hearts, becoming a shield from the bitterness of whatever circumstances we find ourselves wandering in at this moment. If instead of progress we have done some backtracking, it also gives the opportunity to realize those mistakes and make the necessary life changes. For me mulling over these thoughts also makes me gasp at the faithfulness of God through the amazing, the depressing, and the simply bizarre of this year, as well as giving great hope that He is continuing to change who I am as a person. It is a great comfort that God sees passed all our nonsense and sees our potential--the people we will someday become.

It also can be plain humorous to think about who we were a year ago. Last year at this time I was getting ready to head off to college, and I was excited, but more nervous than I realized at that moment. I remember being scared silly at freshmen orientation, trying to be friendly and find friends, but also being nervous out of my mind and feeling rather awkward as I surveyed the gym with all these eighteen year olds some of whom looked like they stepped out of an Aeropostle ad. It didn't help things that most of the activities were athletically themed which I woefully stunk at, but I survived and now a year later I am going back to help with said activities. A year ago if you had said that I would be doing this I would have laughed in your face, and then apologized later. But God knows who He wants us to become and used the challenges, the now amusing failures, and successes of that year to produce a stronger, and more confident person who is learning to embrace some of their quirks, and laugh off the little mistakes. And it's about time! Can I get an amen and a hallelujah from my charismatic friends? Now I am pumped to head back, grateful, and no longer a nervous freshman.

Sooooo......let me leave you with these questions, "Who were you yesterday, who do you want to become, and do you trust God enough to get you to that point?" Trust Him infinitely. He's got this.

No comments:

Post a Comment